Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Love, Love, Love: Pocket Sized Protractors

My first experience with a protractor was less than mathematical. Clear, plastic ones were handed out during math class the day angles were introduced. I did what most kids do when handed the foreign instrument for the first time. I stuck the tip of my pencil in the tiny hole along the bottom and flicked it around until it went flying across the classroom. Being a teacher now, I can only imagine that my poor math teacher did the "not again" eye roll.
flying hazards
I really hadn't thought much about protractors until last year. I was at the Elephants Trunk Flea Market with Thom. We passed by a table that was covered in rusty tools and I noticed something bright sticking out of the pile. I paused and wriggled out a  white, metal, pocket-sized protractor with blue numbers on it. The tool was way too bent out of shape and rusted to use but the instrument intrigued me. The shape and size seemed like they would lend themselves well to making a necklace. I filed the idea away and decided to actively seek out small protractors during my treasure hunts.
a great shape from any angle
Before long, I found the identical protractor in much better condition. It paired up perfectly with a vintage diving girl pin reminiscent of Esther Williams. Once I added a chain and a few charms "Estheronomy" was born.
Estheronomy
Then I discovered pocket sized brass protractors. I created "Steeplechase" using a brass horse, some rhinestones, and a tassel.
Steeplechase
Last month I made pieces on the more whimsical and colorful side, using animals and flowers.

Birds of a Feather and Hopping Down the Bunny Trail
Upcycling allows me to make my own rules and use items in non-traditional ways. Protractors are a great example of how you don't have to go "by the numbers" when creating jewelry.

Come visit me in Boston this summer to see these necklaces in person. Fall and winter dates to be added soon!


Saturday, August 6 - The Greenway Open Market - Boston, MA

Sunday, August 7 - SOWA Open Market - Boston, MA

Saturday, August 13 - The Greenway Open Market - Boston, MA

Sunday, August 14 - SOWA Open Market - Boston, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment