Sunday, October 6, 2013

On the Road - Jamaica Plain Open Studios - Jamaica Plain, MA

Two weekends ago, I headed up to the Boston-area for one incredible show. It was my second time participating in Jamaica Plains Open Studios and this year I set up tent at the Eliot School of Fine & Applied Arts. Many Eliot School teachers/artisans were set up inside the historic school and over a dozen other artists circled the front lawn. Though grey clouds threatened stormy weather at times, the weekend ended up providing us with sunshine and clear skies. It was fun being set up next to fellow Danbury artist Grace Napoleon of Folk Couture and we both enjoyed the steady flow of enthusiastic visitors.
Eliot School of Fine & Applied Arts
Twitch and Whiskers and Folk Couture at JPOS
In addition to amazing handmade goods, live music and a sea of bubbles drew people onto the lawn of the Eliot School throughout the day. I had a perfect view of Bubble Man Jim Dichter and loved watching both kids and adults flash soapy smiles.
Live music from the Old Time Rips on the lawn of the Eliot School
Bubble Man Jim Dichter
On the Eliot School lawn, I had the pleasure of meeting a gal who melts (quite literally) for nostalgia. Breezy days at the beach on Cape Cod, vintage treasures, and sweet childhood memories playfully blend together in the mixed media work of Bumble Belly Designs. Amy Keller's encaustic works layer a special heated beeswax and resin medium with vintage ephemera, whimsical drawings, skillfully cut paper silhouettes, and pigments. The wax gently veils some details in the background while bringing others to the forefront. The result is work that is both dreamy and slightly mysterious. My favorite piece of Amy's is called The Heart Outside Yourself. A mother's heart strings are delicately tethered to her children with a sea of snipping scissors below. It reminds us of how precious and fragile our connections to others can be. In addition to one of a kind artwork, Amy offers prints and waxed minis of her originals. Amy also makes pillows and tea towels with vintage images and clever word themes. To see her whole array of artwork and to find out where you can find Bumble Belly Designs during the holiday season, swing by Amy's website, blog, Facebook page, and Etsy shop. You will be absolutely enchanted!
Amy Keller of Bumble Belly Designs
a whole lotta childhood charm
The Heart Outside Yourself
Old MacDonald Pillows by Bumble Belly Designs
I brought to JPOS a new batch of Fun 'n' Games rings. I always enjoy watching people identify the familiar game pieces and read the funny sayings on the vintage pinback buttons.
Fun 'n' Games rings
Smiles with style!
Visitors really enjoyed my new game board display made by my clever, clever husband. It helped me to showcase some new pinback button and dexterity game necklaces. Some of my favorite quirky pieces went home with happy customers.
new game board display
Looking out of this world in an outer space themed dexterity game necklace
Bravery at the Dentist necklace - and according to this gal...she earned it!
It really was one busy weekend and I enjoyed sharing my vintage compact lockets, tin car necklaces, and brooch assemblages with the lovely ladies of JP.
She's the cat's meow!
Ready to stop traffic in a U-Turn necklace
Gorgeous and golden in a vintage brooch necklace.
Author Christine McDonnell is full of car-risma and creativity.
Over the past few years, I've been fortunate enough to get to know and become friends with some of my wonderful customers. Last year, I met Jack and his mom Erin at the Brewery during JPOS. It turns out that Jack is quite the jewelry designer and all around cool, creative kid! Jack, his brother Kieran, and Erin made my day with a special visit. Erin looked gorgeous in her new compact locket. 

I recently met Lisa through my Etsy shop. We worked together to design a variety of custom made thimblism necklaces. She came by looking adorable in her hot dog thimblism necklace and introduced me to her sweet kids Max and Anya. They not only taught me how to make Rainbow Loom bracelets, but also made me a special one to perfectly match my outfit. I'm one lucky duck and that's one fabulous family!
Jack, Erin, and Kieran brightened my day in JP.
Lisa and her colorful, creative kids Max and Anya!
rainbow wrists
Thank you to the organizers of Jamaica Plain Open Studios, the talented artists, and numerous visitors for making the weekend a fabulous one. I am counting down the days to JPOS next year!

Come November, I have a busy holiday show season and I hope to see you out and about! 

Brookline Marketplace - November 9 - Brookline, MA
Craftopia - November 10 - Pawtucket, RI

Wellesley Marketplace - November 23  - Wellesley, MA
Craftland Holiday Show - November 27 through December 31 - Providence, RI
SoWa Holiday Market - December 14 & 15 - Boston, MA
For updates, sales, and pics of new pieces, follow Twitch and Whiskers on Facebook and Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment