Saturday, October 20, 2012

On the Road - Free Book Adrenaline Rush, The Final Greenway of the Season, and a Very Special Visitor

While driving up to Boston on Friday night, the long week got the best of me and I started to feel a bit tired behind the wheel. Just as I entertained the though of finding a place to pull over, a familiar sign came up in the distance. Oh you know the one:
THE sign
If you have driven up from the Connecticut area to Boston, I'm sure you have seen this sign before. And if you are anything like me, you probably thought, "I really should check out that place someday" or "I wonder what it's like in there." I decided to end the mystery and pulled off the Union exit on 84. 
Traveler Food and Books - Union, CT
Once you go through the foyer, you are greeted by long shelves of books and the cash register to the right. Walk a little further in and the room opens up into a main dining area and of course many more book shelves, nooks, and cubbies.
bookcases everywhere
The serving staff was friendly and the menu was filled with many traditional diner favorites. I decided to go with a baked haddock dinner, which came with a large salad and a heaping bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy. I was very happy with the meal and welcomed the comfort food on that chilly fall night, but the best was yet to come. 
But wait! There's more!
When I inquired about the pricing of the books, Jamie my waitress told me that I got 3 free books from upstairs free with my meal!
She also pointed me in the direction of the downstairs. It was filled with a large used bookstore. As soon as I was done with dinner, I dashed around the upstairs and picked out two freebies from the kid's shelf and one adult book. Then I headed downstairs and was pleasantly surprised by how large and organized the shop was. They had everything from children's books and fiction to a first edition Liberace coffee table book (feathers and sparkles galore) and a repro of an old Montgomery Ward catalog. I left with a full belly and a free book adrenaline rush. The second half of my drive to Cambridge flew by and I arrived in safe and sound.
Jamie and my free books
treasures down below
Bright and early the next day,I headed to the Greenway. The morning started with a c-c-cold bite but it did warm up a bit. It was an ideal day to enjoy the beauty of fall in New England.
The Greenway Open Market
Prime seating at the Greenway
Before the show started, I took a quick stroll down the Greenway met one incredible jewelry designer. Jenny Young of Fire Sand Designs offered delicate, yet durable glass link jewelry. The bright colors and link shapes reminded me of vintage celluloid  necklaces from the 30's. When I picked up her pieces, all thoughts of brittle, breakable glass disappeared. I was pleasantly surprised by the strength and light feel of the links. This can be attributed to Jenny's highly skilled process of manipulating borosilicate glass under a very hot flame. The result is pure elegance. You really must experience Jenny's pieces for yourself! Visit Fire Sand Designs' website to see a beautiful array of earrings, bracelets, and necklaces.
Jenny Young of Fire Sand Designs
simply gorgeous
bold geometric earrings
lovely links
Before the end of the day, a fun variety of Twitch and Whiskers pieces went home with happy customers, including a Shirley Temple necklace, lockets, and Thimblism necklaces.
An Original (left) - sold
Hot and Cold (left) - sold
Luxorious - rouge compact locket - sold
The absolute best part of the day came as a big surprise. Midway through the show, a familiar face popped by. It was a student from my second grade classroom in Connecticut. His family was also in Boston for the weekend so they came by for a quick hello. My friend's warm smile and hug cleared the fall chill out of the air and kept me energized for the rest of the day.
my favorite visitor
This show was the perfect ending to my outdoor season. I have a few weeks off until my next show. It's time to harness the power of my inner elf and get makin'! I look forward to sharing new one of a kind jewelry with you during the holidays. Feel free to contact me if you want something specially made. I hope to see you soon!

Twitch and Whiskers Holiday Schedule:

November 2 & 3 - Twist - Northampton, MA
November 10 - The Park School - Brookline Marketplace -  Brookline, MA
November 11 - Craftopia - Providence, RI

December 8 & 9 - SoWa Holiday Market - Boston, MA

*more shows may be added soon 


You can find Twitch and Whiskers baubles at the following stores:

Craftland (Nov. and Dec. holiday show) - Providence, RI
Peter Lawrence Gallery (Nov. to early Jan show) - Gaylordsville, CT
Vudu Micia - New Milford, CT
English Apothecary - Bethel, CT
Aquvii - Tokyo, Japan (if you're in the area!)

Follow Twitch and Whiskers on Facebook for updates.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment