Monday, June 25, 2012

On the Road - Smith Street Sunday Funday

For the second year in a row, I was Carroll Gardens bound for the Smith Street Sunday Funday. Grace Napoleon of Folk Couture and I traveled in together. We both had been very busy making new items for the fair and were excited to be out and about on a sunny Sunday. This 8 block long event always has a great combination of handmade items, import items, live music, and even a cheese eating competition from Stinky's Bklyn.  One of the benefits of doing this show is indulging in local food. I started the day noshing on a scrumptious almond croissant from Provence en Boite and enjoyed a delicious plate of tikka masala and rice from Bombay Dream for lunch. It was a yummy funday indeed!
Smith Street Sunday Funday
Candy Colored Clown - Twitch and Whiskers
Folk Couture is Pure Genius!
tikka masala magic from Bombay Dream
One of my favorite go-to accessories is a patterned head wrap with vintage-inspired black, maroon, and tan flowers. Every time I wear it, I feel like I have instant good hair day. I bought it last year at the Brooklyn Flea from Chika Michieli of Mercato Style. As soon as I found out she was at Smith Street, I made a bee line to her booth. I was so excited to see her head wraps in spring/summer colors and new patterns. She also offers adorable onesies with appliqued flowers and bunnies with pom pom tails. Chika's mix of colors, fanciful prints, and easy-wear designs make her pieces a must have. I left with a pretty purple and green floral head wrap for the summer ahead. Visit her website to get one for yourself!
Mercato Style

head wraps galore

for somebunny cute in your life
It's always great to have a fun neighbor at a street fair. I had the pleasure of meeting Linda of the cleverly named A Tee Grows in Brooklyn. I was instantly drawn to her shirts with brownstones, stoops, cornices, and doorways. It was no surprise when I found out that she has a  background in architecture. Iconic Brooklyn images like the Cyclone and the Brooklyn Bridge grace her high quality tees and make the perfect gifts for the Brooklyn-phile in your life. I picked up a brownstone t-shirt for Thom and he looks amazing in his new gray T! Check out A Tee Grows in Brookln's website to see their whole line of men's and women's shirts.
Linda of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Brooklyn beauties
Thom's new brownstone shirt (center)
I went on a making spree recently, inspired by my new favorite material: vintage advertising pinback buttons. Their bright litho colors, kitschy logos, and iconic imagery look striking when paired up with Bakelite buckles, brass stampings, and rhinestones. At the end of the school year, one of my teacher friends passed to me an old chessboard and it worked as a great new backdrop for these pieces. A fun variety of pinback button necklaces, one-of-a-kind necklaces, rouge compact lockets, brooch necklaces, Thimblism necklaces, and game piece rings went home with Carroll Garden cuties.
vintage pinback button necklaces - many went off to happy homes
looking magnetic Tail Bait
mom in bunny Thimblism
daughter in dice Thimblism necklace - It's a family affair!
The Bee's Knees rouge compact locket - robin's egg radiant
Garland of Eden - vintage brooch necklace
I will be putting new pieces in my Etsy shop in the weeks to come. Keep your eyeballs peeled! My next show is the Greenway Open Market in Boston on July 7th. In the meantime, like Twitch and Whiskers on FB to see new pieces and to find out about promos. Hope to see you out and about!

No comments:

Post a Comment