Friday, March 16, 2012

On the Road - The Brooklyn Flea at Hanson Place

It was so refreshing to pack up the car again after a two month break from doing shows. Having time to create at home is wonderful, but I couldn't wait to get out into the world again. Grace Napoleon of Folk Couture and I tightly squeezed our gear into her car and headed off to the Brooklyn Flea last weekend. It's always fun to do shows as each others' stuff-made-out-of-stuff sidekicks.

The Brooklyn Flea
Folk Couture & Twitch and Whiskers
A menagerie of chipmunks, pelicans, frogs, and other critters greeted me at the SKT Ceramics table. I have always been fond of Susannah Tisue's lovely, wheel-thrown ceramic designs with delicately drawn animals.  Her large-sized mugs were one of my favorite items at the flea. They have a great weight and feel to them that makes you want to sit back and sip on something warm all day. Those of us lucky enough to see her on Sunday also got first dibs on her seconds sale. I not only brought home a fabulous little bear bowl for Thom, but I also got the gears turning on a custom made creation for an upcoming event. Susannah's ceramics combine the beauty and simplicity of nature and make the perfect handmade gift. Visit SKT Ceramics next time you're at the flea or check out her wares online.
Susannah of SKT Designs
mugs, bowls, and tumblers
Ryan Green of Flux Productions was my neighbor at the flea. He offered amazingly designed and crafted leather goods, including bags, wallets, and cuffs. I really enjoyed his cork bags with their unique texture, lightweight design, and arrow print lining. You can tell that every piece is made with great care and attention to detail. I was really drawn to his leather cuffs with solid brass links but ended up leaving with a screen printed long sleeved t-shirts. I have already worn this floral beauty a few times since last week and know that it will be my go-to shirt this spring. See Ryan at the flea or visit his Etsy shop to see his whole line of clothing and accessories.

Ryan of Flux Productions
leather and brass chain cuffs
Saturday welcomed in visitors from near and far. It was such a wonderful surprise to have the Harvey Family visit from Fairfield, CT (where I teach). Seeing students outside of school is always a treat. I met Dana Ferguson of Dana Made last year at the Prospect Heights Fair and she was kind enough to come by to spread some joy. Saturday ended with Karen Seiger of Markets of New York and her husband James. The night was filled with fabulous food and laughter.
Hello Harveys!
Dana Made - an appearance
Grace had many happy ladies coming in and out of her dressing room with new frocks for the spring. Dresses were her hot sellers for the weekend. No two "clothes out of clothes" creations are ever alike. Her unique mixes of patterns, colors, and textures gave each of her customers an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind piece to welcome in the new season. Like Folk Couture on Facebook to see where you can find her next.
Grace has a bright idea
ready for the sun
a new dress
Some of my favorite pieces went to happy homes including a rouge locket with cameo hidden inside. A necklace with a wooden nickel from Sambo's found its way back to the west coast via a gal from California and my Little Birdy flew the coop.
Kiss on the Chic
Coffee Tea or Me
A Little Birdy Told Me
The weekend provided a much needed awakening from my winter slumber. I left the flea feeling energized for the spring and summer show seasons ahead. I also walked out with a few treats for the road.
Kumquat Cupcakery - got two bites for the road
new favorites: shirt by Flux Productions and bowl by SKT Ceramics
I'll be out and about every weekend in March. Here is my schedule for the month. A full spring/summer schedule will be posted soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment