Thursday, June 2, 2011

Love, Love, Love: Curtain Tie Backs

One of my favorite birthday gifts this year was given to me by my sister-in-law, her husband and kids. It was a pink felt square covered in vintage curtain tie backs. It looked like the world's happiest paperweight!
birthday in bloom
Over the years, I've acquired a collection of tie backs from estate sales, friends, and other places. Many are sculpted flowers made out of plastic or metal. Though tie backs have been around for many decades, I tend to use the ones from the from the 50's and earlier.
low maintenance garden
With some gentle finessing, I remove the pointy backs so the flowers can be incorporated into jewelry.

beware or prickers
When paired up with filigreed furniture hardware, figural brooches, and other floral accents, they offer a whimsical burst of color and eye-catching dimension.

Spring Peeper
My Vermillion Valentine
What are your ideas for using curtain tie backs?

You can find me on Etsy or visit me at these shows this summer:

Sunday, June 26th - Smith Street Sunday Fun Day - Brooklyn, NY

Saturday, July 9, August 6, August 13 - Greenway Open Markets - Boston, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment