Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Something Old, Something New - A Tale of Two Necklaces (Part 1)

Back in December of 2010, I had a table at the Indie Craft Extravaganza in Hamden, Connecticut. It turned out to be a non-stop day, full of enthusiastic customers, interesting wares, and new connections. Shortly after, I was contacted by a friendly gal named Abby who purchased my “Bam! Pow! Zap!” Batman-themed necklace. She emailed me to ask if I would be interested in taking some pieces of her family jewelry and upcycling them into a new piece for her wedding.  She also asked if her friend Allie could join us with some of her special family heirlooms. The email was such a wonderful surprise; I told her I'd love to get together with both of them. 

Bam! Pow! Zap!
The day of the big meet up, I hopped in the car with my camera and a small sketch book and headed toward Starbucks to meet Abby and Allie. I was greeted by two smiling faces and a warm cup of tea. After chatting for a few minutes, and finding we had a lot in common, I felt like I was just hanging out with a bunch of friends I hadn’t seen in a while. Any nervousness that I had about starting up this new project quickly melted away upon meeting these two funny, quirky gals and I felt instantly energized by their creativity and warmth.

Abby's Treasures
The moment Abby and Allie took out their jewelry, I felt a connection to their pieces. Their carefully selected family heirlooms showed me that they too love color and vintage design. They were beautiful pieces I would be proud to have in my own jewelry collection. Each item held special meaning: a mother's birth bracelet, a baby's charm, a whimsical bird brooch and floral bracelet that belonged to a beloved aunt. They held family memories and  anecdotes from the unforgettable women that once wore them. With each family story shared, I could visualize the pieces of the past coming together to form new pieces of jewelry for Allie and Abby.

Allie's Heirlooms
Our gathering was sprinkled with laughter, sharing, and the seeds of new friendship. Over two hours melted in what seemed like minutes. As we parted ways, I felt honored and inspired to be walking away with what would eventually become a wearable family tree and a traveling memorial. 

Read here for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment