Saturday, August 11, 2012

On the Road - The Greenway Open Market - Last Show of the Summer Season

The last few weeks had been a flurry of activity with a trip to LA and shorter excursions around the northeast. It was time to plant my feet solidly on the ground and have my final summer show of the season. I got to set up at one of my favorite outdoor locations - The Greenway Open Market in Boston. 
The Greenway Open Market
My day started off with hellos from some of my favorite regular vendors at the Greenway. Laura of Hoist Away Bags swung by with a smile and gifts! She set aside some bright vintage charms for me and walked away looking fabulous in a whale tail thimblism necklace. Soon after, Irene and Max of Mei Mei Street Kitchen, paid a friendly visit. They had the day off and were strolling about and enjoying the day. I couldn't wait to congratulate them in person for recently winning the Best of Boston Award for Best Meal on Wheels. High fives guys!
Laura of Hoist Away Bags
charmed
Max and Irene of Mei Mei Street Kitchen
I love meeting other teachers on the Greenway. I know, I know, I'm biased but this talented artist drew me in with her vibrant block prints before I even knew she was a high school art teacher. Jamie Palmer Keating creates gorgeous linoleum and wood block prints of sea and ocean creatures. My favorite piece had to be The Underwater Alphabet with colorful critters from anemone to zebra shark. Market goers were treated to Jamie in action, as she artfully scraped away at a fish wood block throughout the day. The Greenway is conveniently located close to a lot of attractions, including the New England Aquarium. Jamie's aquatic prints were the perfect handmade souvenir for visitors to this popular family spot. Visit Jamie's Etsy shop, FB page, and online portfolio to fish for a great sampling of her work and to find out where you can see her next.
Jamie Palmer Keating
fabulous from A to Z
o is for octopus
a sea of color
The Greenway always offers the best eats in the area. Once the hunger pangs hit, I dashed over to Mei Mei Street Kitchen for some sweet blow torched corn and delish pan fried miso-tofu dumplings atop rice. It really hit the spot! For dessert, I flagged down Ocean Ave Pops. Grace Napoleon of Folk Couture and I got tent-side service and cooled down with the most refreshing strawberry and coconut pineapple (with a subtle hint of nutmeg) pops.
Mei Mei Street Kitchen
Ocean Ave Pops
Despite being a steamy day, it was filled with neighborly fun. Grace Napoleon of Folk Couture sent many fabulous frocks home with ladies at the Greenway and provided lots of laughs (as usual) throughout the day. Ali Rose Arts displayed lovely handmade quilts, bags, and baby items whose details warmed the heart but it was Ali who ultimately helped me to cool down. We took a quick dash through the Rings Fountain before packing up at the end of the busy day.
dress by Folk Couture
best way to cool down at the Greenway
Ali - my sprinkler buddy
It was a superb day at the Greenway for Twitch and Whiskers. My favorite bicycle headbadge necklace traveled off with a tourist from Australia who was busy visiting all parts of the US. Many other one of a kind pieces went home with happy customers. There's nothing more rewarding than seeing people wearing a smile and piece of jewelry when they leave my tent. What a perfect finale to the summer show season!
Bicycle Headbadge necklace
REcap bracelet
Garland Variety necklace
Garland Variety necklace
Juckpulver - tin locket necklace
circus themed necklaces - Big Top Hippo - sold
Before you know it, I will be digging out the number 2 pencils, shifting desks around, and getting ready for 22 fresh faces at my classroom door. Before then, I hope to enjoy every last drop of the summer and use my time to create as much as I can in preparation for the fall/winter show season. Here's to a summer filled with travel, adventure, friendship, and art. Thanks to everyone who came out and showed their support. See you in the fall!

Like Twitch and Whiskers on Facebook for schedule updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment